The best components for a mortar are:
1. A good counter weight, you want it to stay in place with minimal effort.
2. A good measure, the depth and diameter of your mortar is very important, so you can grind a good quantity of spice, herb or make an infused oil without the contents spilling over and making an unnecessary mess.
The ideal pestle should:
1. Feel comfy and fill the palm of your hand, with a good weight; not too heavy or large that you cannot hold onto it, not too light or small that you feel you can’t hold onto it properly or can’t grind effectively.
2. Have a nice rounded end for pounding, smashing and grinding you herbs and species.
3. Fill a good quantity of the mortar bowl.